Tuesday, May 5, 2009

How do you interact with your subject?

Raindrops on Spring Corn Lilies, Sierra National Forest, California  2009

Raindrops on Spring Corn Lilies,
Sierra National Forest, California 2009


1/2 at f/22, focal length: 70mm, ISO 50, Aperture Priority,
- May 2, 2009 1:44pm PDT. Photographed with Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L, Tripod Mounted



I've mentioned Andy Goldsworthy here before as a source of inspiration. His work is fascinating and I constantly go back to it for inspiration and humbling. Another "land artist" I want to share with you is Richard Shilling. I especially enjoy his leaf flags. Take the time to search through and study his work on his flickr account. He goes by
e s c h e r.

Another photographer I wanted to bring up is Matt Mallams. But more specifically, I wanted to point you to some new work he's been posting on his blog here. Matt is bringing his work to the public in a new, guerrilla, graffiti-esque type way. It reminds me of the, now well known, street artist, Banksy's work (who is also a creative force, serving up inspiration regularly).

These are two individuals doing very different work but are both very directly interacting with their environment and making art out of it. How can we interact [responsibly] with our surroundings when making images to create something very personal and original?

These guys have got me thinking, excited, and eager! They're causing fresh ideas to cultivate in my mind and I can't wait to get going.

What or who inspires you? Actively seek out new inspiration. Don't ignore or disregard something new, even if you can't stand it at first. Whatever may be causing cognitive dissonance may bring something unexpected to your ideas. Be open and look everywhere!

From where do you draw your inspirations? How do you interact with your subject? Please share...

1 comment:

  1. I would say I mainly draw inspiration from other photographers and artists, that I'm not the most original shooter out there. At least for now, that is how I'm building my skill set.

    When I'm interacting with a subject, I try to "live in the moment" and filter out nearly everything else. I try to listen and hear "what is this scene telling me? What is the secret I'm here to respond to? This same moment will never happen again, it's just me here to record it."

    Sometimes I'm pleased, and sometimes not!

    You have beautiful images here.

    ReplyDelete