Friday, July 16, 2010

Zoom and Respect

Cascading Corlieu Falls, Lewis Creek, Sierra National Forest, California  2010

Cascading Corlieu Falls, Lewis Creek,
Sierra National Forest, California 2010


2 sec at f/22, focal length: 35mm, ISO 50, Aperture Priority, +2/3EV,
- 1 July 2010 6:05 pm PDT. Photographed with Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EF 17-40mm f/4L, tripod mounted.



This was from the same session as the previous post, exactly one minute later actually. Standing in the same spot, same lens, nearly the same exposure. Totally different feel, and not just because of the black and white treatment. By zooming in, I cut out a lot of extras, simplifying the composition and creating a more intimate, contemplative photograph.

Not difficult to do, by any means, but important to remember to really work a scene and all it's options. We, as photographers, can often get so caught up by what's in front of us that we'll start to set up right where we're standing, almost as instinct, frame up one composition, "take" the shot and move along. I would encourage you to not even take your camera out until you've gotten to know your scene. In this case, it was a good 30 minutes before I even thought about my camera. I swam, watched, studied, laughed, awed, and shivered. Only after I got a tangible feel for the power of this waterfall did I start to think about how I wanted to photograph it. And once I did, I made sure to try different options, even ones as simple as zooming in.

Have respect for your subjects, take the time to get to know them.



blog comments powered by Disqus