Monday, September 22, 2008

Sojourn of Light I

Sojourn of Light I

1/15 sec at f/8, focal length: 100-200mm, ISO 100 - September 9, 2008, 7:07pm PDT
Photographed with Canon EOS 20D, EF 70-200mm f/4L, hand held


I'm not going to say what this is, at least not at first. I'd like to get some feedback as to your reactions/responses to this image before you are influenced by knowing what the subject really is. So please leave your comments and hopefully this will spark some interesting discussions.

3 comments:

  1. OK John,

    I'm intrigued, impressed and stumped. I can tell from your EXIF data that you zoomed during the exposure but for the life of me, I can't tell what this is.

    I'll tell you one thing. I'd love to see it printed.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    I've got to know. What is it and how did you make this exposure?

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff,

    Well here's for the big surprise. It's a silhouetted oak tree with the sunset behind it. The blue is sky and the pink/red are clouds. As for how: it was simply a matter of zooming and panning down at the same time.

    I have hundreds of images from this session, and while some of the others are good, none are anywhere near this level. It was a lot of fun and very energizing and it was a great creative exercise (plus there were a lot of "mistakes" to learn from).

    Well now the mystery is out. I'd be interested in seeing others' images employing this technique. So if you try it out, please share.


    John

    ReplyDelete