Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Slo Going

Morning surf, from San Simeon State Park, California  2010

Morning surf,
from San Simeon State Park, California 2010


30 sec at f/22, focal length: 70mm, ISO 50, Aperture Priority, 0EV,
- 24 April 2010 6:45 am PDT. Photographed with Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L, Singh-Ray Mor-Slo 5 stop ND, tripod mounted.



I've been slowly editing/processing files from a recent camping trip to the coast this weekend with my family and some friends. I only had two solid sessions of photographing, one morning and one sunset, but definitely feel like I made the most of my time within those two sessions. I had never been to San Simeon before and so with fresh eyes and no expectations, I was seeing new compositions to explore with virtually every foot step. Such an exciting trip!

The image above was made during the first session. It was the morning after we had arrived and a nice relatively dense, high fog had settled in just before the sun came up. I love these conditions. Longer exposures, softer light, more time to fine tune a composition without worrying about the light changing. Less sentimental, more Zen.

Although the given conditions allowed for exposure times running into the 2+ second range I opted for the Singh-Ray Mor-Slo ND to extend the exposure as long as possible. This allowed me to soften the water further and enhance the quiet and contemplative mood I was experiencing while standing on a bluff above the shore below.


San Simeon Creek, San Simeon State Park, California  2010

San Simeon Creek,
San Simeon State Park, California 2010


15 sec at f/32, focal length: 70mm, ISO 50, Aperture Priority, +1/3EV,
- 24 April 2010 6:23 am PDT. Photographed with Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L, tripod mounted.



In case you didn't see the above image that I had posted to my John O'Connor Photography Facebook Page, here is another one made just a bit earlier on the same morning.

Oh, and Happy Cinco de Mayo!
blog comments powered by Disqus